How many hours do you spend on your phone each day? Each week? If you have noticed the appearance of neck wrinkles from looking down at your phone, you may be experiencing “tech neck.” Too many hours on our devices causes both horizontal lines in the skin and pain and stiffness in your muscles.
Dr. Kevin Duplechain and our Lafayette, LA aesthetic experts see this problem more and more in our patients, and we have a number of skincare treatments and procedures to help prevent and treat neck lines and wrinkles caused by tech usage. Let’s dive into the issue and talk about potential solutions!
What are tech neck wrinkles?
Tech neck wrinkles are horizontal lines across your neck caused by loose skin and prominent muscles. Often seen during long hours on the computer in meetings or in selfies, tech neck lines can prematurely age the appearance of your delicate neck skin, which is thinner than the skin of your face and is more prone to fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging.
The role of the “Zoom phenomenon”
In the past several years, the influence of spending long hours online in video meetings (i.e. Zoom) has led many people to more closely examine their wrinkles or other concerns, specifically in the face and neck. At the same time, more and more of us are working from home, making it easier to recover from cosmetic surgery.
Thus, there has been an increase in demand for cosmetic surgery, dermal fillers, or skin treatments. This rise in aesthetic treatments for the face and neck has sometimes been called the “Zoom phenomenon.” Rest assured that you are not alone if seeing your reflection more often has led you to research treatments.
What can I do to treat tech neck lines?
There are some simple, at-home solutions you can use to avoid worsening tech neck wrinkles, such as medical-grade skincare with targeted ingredients and avoiding significant sun exposure without sunscreen. There are also minor office procedures such as Botox® or dermal filler. Additionally, cosmetic surgeon Dr. Duplechain and our team of aesthetic specialists offer a number of treatments for more significant tech neck lines and sagging.
First, there is an everyday adjustment you can make to avoid worsening tech neck wrinkles and more serious side effects like pain: be mindful of your posture while you scroll on your phone or type on your laptop. Continuously looking down creates folds in the skin of your neck. Instead, bring the top of your screen up to eye level, pull your shoulders back, sit up straight, and push your chin forward to straighten your neck. Workspace solutions that allow you to stand and be more upright are now easily available and may be a consideration.
Continuously looking down creates folds in the skin of your neck.
This may feel strange at first, but with practice your body will adjust to improved posture. You can also make adjustments such as using a desktop monitor set at eye level while working. (Of course, you should also strive to limit the time spent scrolling on your phone where possible to promote mental health, eye health, and sleep hygiene.)
Experiencing minor lines from tech neck? Be sure you have a good skincare routine in place. Dr. Duplechain recommends medical-grade skincare products that have been clinically proven to combat concerns and keep skin healthy. For example, CutaVive reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. SkinMedica (available through physicians only) has many products that contain the company’s patented NouriCel-MD, which has epidermal growth factors. In general, look for products containing retinol to help fight wrinkles and lines, and be sure to wear sunscreen every day on your neck and face. There are several at-home decollete treatments available through a consultation with one of Dr. Duplechain’s very experienced aestheticians.
Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
For mild tech neck wrinkles that are not responding to skincare and posture changes alone, you might consider subtle skin tightening procedures that do not require surgery or downtime. Our Lafayette cosmetic surgery practice offers the following:
- NuEra Tight is a radiofrequency skin tightening and fat reduction treatment. This is a great nonsurgical option for mildly sagging, loose, crepey, or wrinkled skin, with the extra benefit of addressing excess fat deposits. NuEra Tight contracts weak collagen fibers in the skin and stimulates the production of new fibers. Using the body’s natural healing mechanisms, this creates lasting, natural-looking results.
- Ultherapy is a non-invasive skin tightening treatment that uses targeted ultrasound energy to lift, smooth, and tighten aging tissues in the face, neck, and chest. The ultrasound energy has a thermal effect, which means it heats tissues to the point where they respond by building new collagen and elastin. Ultherapy has a 10-year track record of safety and efficacy.
- Laser Skin Rejuvenation is another non-invasive treatment to target wrinkles and lines from tech neck, sagging, or skin laxity, as well as other concerns such as sun damage or scarring. We have a number of laser options to customize the best treatment to your needs.
- SkinPen and RF microneedling are safe options for any part of the body, including the delicate skin of the neck. The SkinPen microneedling device stimulates your skin’s natural ability to heal itself by creating a series of microscopic channels into the skin to help promote the production of collagen and elastin. SkinPen can be used to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the face, neck, décolletage, and more. RF microneedling like the Lumenis Legend Pro provides the addition of radio frequency energy to the skin to enhance tightening and collagen formation.
- Peels & Facials are some of the best things you can do for the health and appearance of your skin. Our aestheticians offer many different peel and facial options that can hydrate, resurface, exfoliate, and repair your skin as well as soften fine lines and wrinkles from tech neck. Proven options include HydraFacial, MicroPeel, Chemical Peels, and VI Peel.
Minimally-Invasive Skin Tightening
For more significant tech neck wrinkles and advanced signs of aging, you might consider a minimally-invasive skin tightening surgery such as Renuvion, which offers significant results without the longer incisions of a surgical facelift. Combining the collagen-building power of radiofrequency energy with the precision of cold helium plasma, Renuvion lifts sagging tissues to rapidly achieve smoother, firmer skin with minimal downtime.
Lafayette, LA cosmetic surgeon Dr. Duplechain performs the Renuvion procedure in our accredited surgical facility using either general anesthesia, local anesthesia with sedation, or local-only anesthesia depending on your needs. Patients immediately return home and recovery only requires a few days of downtime. Patients begin to see visible results after just a few days.
Face and Neck Lift Cosmetic Surgery
If you have more advanced signs of aging, including sagging, crepey skin in the neck or lower face, and neck bands (which are caused by muscles in the neck), then a facelift and/or neck lift may be the best solution. Deeper neck surgery below the platysma allows for muscles, glands, and fat to be contoured and sculpted to enhance a well-done facelift. When performed by an experienced cosmetic surgeon, surgical neck lifting can soften wrinkles, tighten skin, and shape the neck to effectively “turn back the clock” about ten years. (Dr. Duplechain is nationally renowned for achieving natural looking results with his deep plane facelift technique for patients around the age of forty and beyond.)
- Related: What’s a deep plane facelift?»
Cosmetic treatments in Lafayette, LA for fine lines and wrinkles
While you can’t realistically get rid of your phone, you’ve got options to treat tech-related fine lines and wrinkles—and we’ve got the expertise to deliver gorgeous results! Schedule a consultation online or contact us at (337) 456-3282 for a professional assessment from Dr. Duplechain and our highly-qualified team.
Leave a Reply